After 2 years at U of T, I’m fairly confident I’ve found my favourite places on campus. Having lived both in residence and off-campus, I’m quite familiar with multipurpose spots. I have my go-to places to hang out, to eat, to study, and even to study with friends. So to keep myself from rambling, I decided to create a list.
Chilling with friends?
– University College JCR: this space took me a while to get used to, but once I started getting comfortable, there was no way to get me out of there.
– Terrence Donelly Centre: which, funnily enough, I originally knew of as the “secret garden in medsci”. And it’s not far from what it is, really! If you’re looking for a little green space in the cold of winter, I would definitely recommend checking this place out.
Where to eat?
– Diabolos: Just like the JCR, a little hidden gem. In fact, it’s just by the entrance of the JCR, so you will always have somewhere to sit with their delicious hot chocolate or any other coffee or pastry you might be craving. My favourite place to cozy up!
– Robarts Cafe: Now before everyone starts wondering why I would ever want to eat at Robarts, I want to say that it’s not as bad as it may sound. The cafeteria not only has a Starbucks, but also a GREAT Mexican food place plus a selection of pizzas, shawarmas, and other little snacks. Perfect for an efficient study break!
– Food trucks on St. George st: Okay, sometimes all I want is a cheap quick meal. And what better fit than a food truck! My favourite is the Brown Food Truck, but occasionally I’ll experiment with another one. Always a pleasant surprise!
Best spots to study?
– Robarts: Unpopular opinion, but to be honest, I’ll always get work done there. The study environment might be a bit stressful, but if you’re like me, you’ll find it rather productive.
– Myhal: This beautiful new building was a little intimidating to me at first, but when I realized the amount of natural light and space, I just haven’t been able to find somewhere that compares.
Studying with a group?
– Sid Smith Commons: Also a rather new space, lots of light, lots of space, but also lots of super comfy chairs! If I’m working on a project, or even studying with friends, this is the first place we’ll check out.
– Robarts Study Rooms: By now you’ve probably noticed I kind of love Robarts, and I’m not going to lie, it’s pretty great. I always book them in advance so I always have a guaranteed study spot. These little rooms allow me to take short breaks and chat with my friends without interrupting anyone.
What I want you to gather from this isn’t that these aren’t necessarily the best spots on campus, but rather that there are so many places to visit and colleges to explore. We shouldn’t confine ourselves to our rooms. If we have such a beautiful campus, why not make the most of it?! Let me know in the comments what your favourite spots are!