If there’s one thing I still haven’t mastered in my second year at U of T, it’s the idea of having a “student budget”. I mean hypothetically I know going shoe shopping in Yorkville after class with my grocery money isn’t smart – but actually being able to stop myself from doing so is a different issue. But hey, admitting you have a problem is the first step to finding a solution right?
There are hundreds of articles online telling you how to save money as a student, and while these tips are great in theory, a lot of them can be hard to implement. I know personally, I enjoy going out for food and drinks with my friends. It’s something that I like to do on my off-time, and it’s something I’m willing to spend money on.
So how to you balance?
Well it’s hard, and if I knew how to master it I would share my tips, but unfortunately I’m sitting here with a VISA bill that indicates I clearly don’t.
Luckily, as U of T students we have some awesome deals targeted specifically for us. Different restaurants, attractions, and shops all around the city offer specific student deals and discounts to help make student living a little easier.
Check out my top deals by week day; (all of these deals require you bringing your TCard with you as proof of ID)
- Head over to Toby’s Pub & Eatery any day between Sunday and Thursday for 15% off food and drinks. Student favourites include their nachos and wings.
- Today is the day to stock up on groceries. Head over to the Metro on Bloor St. for 10% off your purchase. This Metro is open 24 hours, so it’s easy to come by before or after your classes.
- Time to stock-up on inexpensive dry goods, or bulk candy and treats for an upcoming event or meeting. Bulk Barn offers 10% off to students on Wednesdays.
- Make-up addicts (myself included), brace yourselves because Shoppers Drug Mart on Bloor offers 20% off to U of T students on Thursdays. Stock up on basics like shampoo and toilet paper, but also keep your eye out because shoppers can have great deals on things such as chips and soda too.
- You made it to Friday, which means you deserve to celebrate! Fresh Restaurants and Spring Rolls Restaurants all around the city offer 15% off to students (excluding specials). It’s the perfect excuse to go out and celebrate the week, or catch up with friends you haven’t seen all week.
So these are my favourite student deals for U of T students! Many of them are great ways to save on basic things you need every day, while others just provide a way for you to still enjoy yourself on a student budget. If you know of any other deals I should include, leave them down below or tweet them to be at @Rachael_UofT.