Apply Today For The Design Thinking Experience Program
The Innovation Hub and the Centre for Learning, Leadership & Culture (LLC) are launching a Design Thinking Experience Program for University of Toronto students and staff. This ten-week program, designed for those who are passionate about improving life for students on campus, will provide training in equity-centered design thinking through a hands-on project that tackles a genuine challenge in the University of Toronto campus experience. Space is limited, and both staff and students are invited to apply.
About the Program
By joining the ten-week program, you’ll work on a project to learn about improving the campus experience. You’ll collect data through empathy-based methods like interviews, discussions, and observations, and you’ll uncover insights into unmet needs and prototype potential solutions. At the same time, you’ll learn and practice design thinking and qualitative research. The skills you’ll gain are highly transferable to your current and future work environment, and the team you’ll meet will be a great place to build connections. Teams will be a mix of staff and students, so you’ll get a chance to see UofT from different perspectives and have a powerful opportunity to inspire change.
What Will You Learn?
- Various models of design thinking
- Empathy & design thinking
- Equity & ethics in design thinking
- Data collection methods including interviews, observations & alternative methods
- Transcription & data analysis
- Ideation & prototyping
- Testing & implementation
- Reporting & presenting design-based research projects
Length: 10 weeks, June 1st – August 3rd
- Weekly sessions will be held Tuesdays from 2:00PM – 4:00PM
- Commitment is intensive: the two-hour workshop each week is mandatory, plus three hours of additional work. Because we work on genuine projects with deliverables and deadlines, we ask that participants commit to full attendance and participation.
Information sessions are in Eastern Standard Time over Zoom. The sessions will be recorded, linked on this webpage and our YouTube channel 1-2 business days after the session if you are unable to attend
Online Information Session 1:
Tuesday May 11th, 12:00-1:00PM
Register via EventBrite here – Registration ends May 10th at 11:59PM
Online Information Session 2:
Wednesday, May 12th, 3:00-4:00PM
Register via EventBrite here – Registration ends May 11th at 11:59PM
Want to Apply?
- Have your work/program of study information readily on hand (e.g. program/work information, contact information, schedule of work/studies available etc.)
- Consider previous experience you might have had with design thinking/ qualitative research – or what you would like to learn from this program?
- What motivates you to improve the UofT experience?
- What do you hope to learn? How will this impact your work, and/or your professional/educational goals?
- Can you meet the time commitments for this program?
- Mandatory weekly meetings on Tuesdays 2:00-4:00PM beginning June 1st to August 3rd, 2021
- Can commit 3 additional hours outside of the weekly meeting to the work
- Staff must organize a letter of support from an immediate supervisor/manager. The letter (which can be an email) should include 1) an endorsement of the staff member’s participation and 2) an acknowledgement of the staff member’s capacity to meet the commitments for the program. Supervisors should send their support to email@example.com. The letter of reference is also due May 18th.
- Students must ask a referee to submit a letter of reference. The letter (which can be an email) should briefly speak to 1) the student’s ability to commit and participate fully in this program, 2) the unique thought and character that the student would bring to the program. The referee does not need to be academic; it can be someone familiar with you from a job or volunteer position.
- Referees should send their support to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of reference is also due May 18th.
Applications close May 18th 5:00PM
Please subscribe to our blog for any updates regarding future programs!