The Design Thinking Experience Program
The Innovation Hub and the Centre for Learning, Leadership & Culture (LLC) are launching a Design Thinking Experience Program for University of Toronto students and staff. This ten-week program, designed for those who are passionate about improving life for students on campus, will provide training in equity-centered design thinking through a hands-on project that tackles a genuine challenge in the University of Toronto campus experience.
About the Program
By joining the ten-week program, you’ll work on a project to improve the campus experience. You’ll collect data through empathy-based methods like interviews, discussions, and observations, and you’ll uncover insights into unmet needs and prototype potential solutions. At the same time, you’ll learn and practice design thinking and qualitative research. The skills you’ll gain are highly transferable to your current and future work environment, and the team you’ll meet will be a great place to build connections. Teams will be a mix of staff and students, so you’ll get a chance to see UofT from different perspectives and have a powerful opportunity to inspire change.
What will you learn?
- Various models of design thinking
- Empathy & design thinking
- Equity & ethics in design thinking
- Data collection methods including interviews, observations & alternative methods
- Transcription & data analysis
- Ideation & prototyping
- Testing & implementation
- Reporting & presenting design-based research projects
Length: January 9th – March 19th
- Weekly sessions will be held Thursdays from 10:00am – 12:00pm in Room 610, 215 Huron Street
- Commitment is intensive: ther two-hour workshop each week is mandatory, plus three hours of additional workBecause we work on genuine projects with deliverables and deadlines, we ask that participants commit to full attendance and participation.
- Online Information Session:
Tuesday, November 19th from 1-2 p.m.
Register online by November 15th
- In-Person Session
Friday, November 22nd from 9-10 a.m.
215 Huron Street, Room 610
Register online by November 15th
- Missed an information session? A recording is available here
Want to Apply?
Before applying – here are some prompts to help consider why you want to apply to the program:
- Have your work/ program of study information readily on hand (e.g. program/work information, contact information, schedule of work/studies available etc.)
- Consider previous experience you might have had with design thinking/ qualitative research – or what you would like to learn from this program?
- What motivates you to improve the UofT experience?
- What do you hope to learn? How will this impact your work, and/or your professional/educational goals?
- Can you meet the requirements for this program?
- Mandatory weekly meetings on Thursdays from early January 9th to March 19th from 10:00am – 12:00pm
- Can commit 3 additional hours outside of the weekly meeting to the work
- Staff must submit a letter of support from an immediate supervisor endorsing participation in the program and acknowledging their capacity to meet the commitments for the program to email@example.com
- Students must submit a letter of recognition speaking to their character and ability to participate fully in this program at the same time as completing their application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for the January, 2020 Program are now closed – Check back soon for new program info!