December 12th, 2014
Well, we did it! You may be finishing up your last assignments but the end is near! And soon you’ll have free time, FREE. TIME. Forgot what that felt like? Me too.
Other than relaxing a little bit, I hope to squeeze in as much fun as possible into my break, before we return back in January to hit the books. I’m planning on catching up with friends and family, reading (non school books!), baking, and preparing a few real meals for once (and hopefully putting my cereal/popcorn/toast student diet on hold). Can’t wait!
Worried time away from your work will look more like this than relaxation?
Well why not try distracting yourself by scheduling in some fun time? If you’re from Toronto or have some free time before you head home for the holidays, here are a few (FREE) things to do in the city over the break with all that free time!
1. If you missed the last Grad Escape to the Toronto Christmas Market, you should check it out for yourself! Here are some photos from our Grad Escape event this week:
2. Still need to do some last minute Christmas shopping? Check out the #LocalTOmrkt by Yonge and Dundas to find locally made, one-of-a-kind gifts.
3. Check out a free classic Christmas movie at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema. If you go in person ahead of time, you can pick up two free tickets to a variety of movies which start on Dec. 20th.
4. Without class on your schedule, why not fancy up your lunch hour with the Free Concert Series in the Richard Bradshaw Amphitheatre
5. Brave the cold weather, lace up and go skating with some friends. There are a number of smaller skating rinks around the city, but the two biggest rinks downtown are Nathan Phillips Square and Harbour Front. It’s free to skate if you B.Y.O.S (bring your own skates), but otherwise rentals are around $10.
Here are some photos from our GradEscape to Nathan Phillips Square:
6. Last but not least, be sure to take some time to relax and spend time with loved ones. Make time for your hobbies and passions that may have fallen by the way-side during school when your readings and assignments took precedent. The winter break can be a great time to foster your creative side and re-charge. I recently have gotten into embroidery and it’s a fun way to de-stress and do something crafty and creative.
However you like to get creative and crafty, now is the time! Have a wonderful and relaxing break, grad students! See you in 2015!