Midterm season is hard. If stress and school-related anxiety are getting in the way of your ability to perform academically, consider exploring the resources that are in place for students in need. Understandably, navigating all of the on-campus resources available may seem daunting, especially when you are already feeling stressed, so we have put together a list to help you get started.
U of T St. George
- Location: Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College St., First Floor
- To book an appointment: with a learning strategist call (416) 978-7970 or use their online chat tool during available hours.
- What they offer: an individualized approach to supporting students. They assist students at any stage of their undergraduate or graduate degrees, in any discipline. They provide a wide array of services including workshops, an online list of learning strategies, academic success study hubs, a graduate writing group, Fresh Start conference for students who have experienced academic setbacks at U of T, and peer mentoring for first-generation students.
- Location: Across campus
- What they offer: students are eligible to work with the writing centre at the college or campus where they’re registered. Support for multilingual students is available through the Faculty of Arts & Science’s English Language Learning programme. Another service worth noting is Writing Plus, which provides free academic skills group workshops for the University’s entire student body.
U of T Mississauga
- Location: University of Toronto Mississauga Library
- To book an appointment: call (905) 828-3858
- What they offer: a variety of academic services, workshops, and appointments to benefit students and their academic learning. Appointments are available for one-on-one skill development in areas such as academic writing, research, studying, test-preparation, oral presentations, and problem solving. The RGASC also offers writing workshops, English language enrichment workshops & peer socials, and opportunities for peer-facilitated study groups.
U of T Scarborough
- Location: UTSC Academic Advising & Career Centre, AC213
- To book an appointment: call (416) 287-7561 or stop by during drop-in hours
- What they offer: developmental advising, learning skills, career counselling and employment coaching through individual appointments, workshops, experiential programming, events and a range of online resources.
Health & Wellness Resources
U of T St. George
- Location: Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College St., Second Floor
- To book an appointment: call (416) 978-8030 or use their web portal. The clinic also accepts same-day drop-in appointments on a first-come, first-served basis.
- What they offer: the same services as your family physician, available to all University of Toronto students who have paid the appropriate incidental fees. Their website provides a full list of services offered.
- Location: 63 St. George St., Room 207a
- To book an appointment: call (416) 978-8030
- What they offer: a Wellness Counsellor who provides brief counselling services tailored to the challenges presented by graduate-level university life. The focus of counselling is on strengths, resiliency, and skills-building. They also offer a series of workshops to help graduate students develop coping skills to meet the demands of university, work, and personal life.
- Location: 252 Bloor St. West
- To book an appointment: call (416) 978-0654
- What they offer: psychological assessment, counselling, and psychotherapy services for issues relating to personal, social, emotional, and academic concerns. Services are provided at low cost, with flexible payment plans and a sliding scale fee designed to meet the needs of clients.
- Locations: Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, New College, St. Michael’s College, Transitional Year Programme, University College
- To book an appointment: call (416) 946-5117
- What they offer: both face-to-face and online counselling for Faculty of Arts and Science undergraduate students and Transitional Year Programme (TYP) students. All of the services provided are outlined in their flyer.
U of T Mississauga
- Location: Room 1123A, Davis Building
- To book an appointment: call (905) 828-5255
- What they offer: an on-campus health service that serves students on all topics related to student health and wellness, such as medical care and counselling & psychiatric care. HCC clinicians also offer short-term, solution-focused counselling and therapy services, with the possibility of referrals to assist students in accessing resources in the community when complex and/or long-term care is needed. The HCC also offers a limited number of same-day personal counselling appointments.
U of T Scarborough
- Location: Student Centre, SL-270
- To book an appointment: call (416) 287-7065
- What they offer: personal counselling and group therapy services for students registered at UTSC with a valid student card and health card. They also host an online self-help Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) based resource called WellTrack, available to those that may be struggling with anxiety, depression and/or stress. To access this service, you can ask for it in-person at the front desk or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The resources listed above are only some of the possible solutions for academic-related stress, and were updated by Molly Kay and Chelsea Ryan. The intention of this blog is to outline how to access the academic and counselling services across all three of U of T campuses. Where applicable, referrals to off-campus resources may be necessary. For additional wellness resources, please visit our blog”Accessing Counselling Resources“.
This blog has been updated and amended in 2019.