The UTSU Clubs Fair is a great way to discover the variety of student clubs and groups that make up UofT. If you’re looking for a way to get involved on campus, this is definitely the place to go. Having said that – while the number and variety of clubs offer a lot of cool opportunities, it can also be a little overwhelming. When I went in my first year there were so many clubs that I didn’t even know where to start, and I ended up blindly committing to any club that seemed remotely interesting. All that resulted in was me receiving lots and lots of emails but not actually getting involved in anything. So to hopefully prevent that from happening to you, here are some tips for making the most out of your visit to the clubs fair!
Before you go…
- Do some pre-flection. Why are you going? What do you hope to get out of this experience?
- Set goals. Do you want to join a club based on something that you already know you’re interested in? Or do you want to join a club that introduces you to something new?
- Do your research and prepare questions: Take a look at the Ulife website and prepare some questions for clubs that you want to explore a bit more; questions can give you a starting point to actually start building connections with groups.
While you’re there…
- Bring a bag. There will be lots of free stuff and you’ll want something to put it all in.
- Be open-minded. There are clubs for everything: expect the unexpected. And don’t be afraid to explore something new!
- Decide if email is your friend. Remember: if you sign up to be on many listservs, you will receive a lot of emails.
- Take a second to think. You don’t have to sign up for everything immediately – make note of the club’s name and sign up later if you want!
After you leave…
- Don’t feel obligated to get involved. Even if you expressed interest in multiple clubs, go to a few first meetings and shop around until you find one that you really enjoy.
- Decide how involved you want to be. Do you just want to receive emails? Go to events? Become an executive member? The decision is totally yours!
- Don’t fret if nothing jumped out at you. If you didn’t find a club that interests you, create your own!
Good luck clubbing!