General

#UofTStressbusters: 10 things you can do to beat the exams blues this week

It’s that time of year. We’re all muscling through, and we’re all going to make it! Don’t get overwhelmed by stress – practice self-care by eating right, staying active, and taking breaks! There’s no way a full day at the library will be 100% productive. Keep your stress level under control by stretching your legs and relaxing your brain with these stressbusters.

1. Find all the puppies you can on campus. Start with Bella, who will be at Gerstein Tuesday and Thursday 11:30am-1:00pm.

Students petting Bella, the therapy dog at Gerstein library.

Bella is definitely celebrity-status at U of T. This could be you! Image by uoft via Instagram.

2. Go on an evening adventure to the iconic Distillery District Christmas Market, complete with twinkling lights and carolers. Admission is free Tuesday-Friday.

3. Read things about animals on the internet featuring ample gifs and videos. Start with these dogs that won 2015.

4. Take in calming, earthy art without leaving campus at the Justina M. Barnicke Gallery’s Rocks, Stones, and Dust exhibition, closing Friday.

5. You may hate me for this one, but hit the gym! I know it’s hard to think about being healthy this time of year, but giving yourself an hour to be active will replenish your brain power. Try a fitness class at Hart House, the Athletic Centre, or the Goldring Centre for an efficient, fun group workout.

6. See free holiday movies at the Bloor Cinema for a study break! They’re showing A Muppets Christmas Carol and Love Actually on Saturday.

7. Go for a skate at Nathan Phillips Square. Get a selfie in front of the lit up Toronto sign at night and enjoy the mild weather with friends.

Nathan Phillips Square skating rink at night with twinkling lights and skaters.

Take a quick activity break with high selfie potential at Nathan Phillips Square. Image by the City of Toronto via Flickr.

8. Head to Yonge-Dundas Square for the free Toronto Christmas Festival every night this week! There’s live music, a daily light show at 10:00pm, and free hot chocolate with marshmallows.

9. Grab a meal somewhere on campus you’ve never tried before! Ever been to the New College Cafeteria, or Innis Cafe? While you’re at it, try a new library too, to change up your environment and explore new spots on campus.

10. Get much-needed literal midnight snacks at UTSU’s Got You at Robarts on Thursday and Friday (well, Friday and Saturday).

Follow @UofTStudentLife on Twitter for daily stress busters until the end of exam period. Got your own ideas for ways to relax during finals season? Share them on Twitter with #UofTStressBusters.

danielle

Danielle is the summer 2015 Communications Intern at the Office of Student Life. She wrapped up her undergrad this year and will be entering a master's program at U of T in the fall, studying in the Faculty of Information. She previously studied English and Jewish Studies with a minor in History. Danielle studied abroad twice, in Jerusalem and Berlin, did a service learning course, and did a few work-study positions. Her favourite part of her undergrad was working at The Varsity, the campus newspaper. She was the editor-in-chief in her final year. She's passionate about good writing, student journalism, reading, knitting, long walks (on the beach or otherwise), and table tennis, which she insists she is very good at, though her friends may not agree. You can reach her on twitter @lifeatuoft over the summer if you want to chat!

1 Comment

Elise Xavier

Going for a skate. That’s one of the only perks (as I see it) to this time of year – and something I wish I did more of in my undergrad years!

Reply