General

How to get your holiday shopping done without leaving campus

It’s almost the most wonderful time of the year – but first, it’s a marginally less wonderful time: final papers and exams! I’ve got an all-day event everyday in my calendar for the next two weeks called “never leave Robarts”, so the concept of purchasing holiday gifts seems decidedly out of reach. If you’re hibernating in the library like me this month, here’s a few ways you can get your gifts out of the way without straying far from your study den.

Handcrafted goods from the First Nations House holiday artisan & book sale

On Friday, December 11, from 11am-4pm, stop by First Nations House holiday artisan and book sale! You can grab a hot chocolate, warm cider, soup, and bannock while you shop beautiful, handcrafted Indigenous products. Vendors include Goodsminds Books, selling Indigenous literature; Red Sky beexwax candles and urban honey; pottery from an Aboriginal Studies professor; moccasins; stained glass products; dreamcatchers; beadwork; and artwork an Indigenous student at U of T. Learn more about First Nations House on the Student Life website.

A poster for the First Nations House holiday artisan & book sale with the event name and a picture of moccasins.

The First Nations House holiday artisan & book sale is a great event to find amazing gifts (and amazing hot chocolate).

Out of print treasures from the UC Bookshop

There are all kinds of gems to be found at the UC Bookshop, including out of print books, classic literature, Canadian literature, children’s books, travel books, science books, and more. Tucked in the corner of the UC quad, the shop is open Monday to Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m, and Friday 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m. Learn more on the University College website.

Chocolate bars at Caffeinds

You need a caffeine fix while you’re studying, anyway – stop by Caffeinds for some fair trade coffee and pick up some delicious vegan, gluten-free chocolate bars to add to your holiday gifts! While you’re at it, you deserve a cupcake, too. Check out the Caffeinds menu on their website.

Go Into the Woods

Give the gift of theatre with tickets to Hart House Theatre’s upcoming musical production, Into the Woods! It’s a great treat to start of January for the musical theatre lover in your life – plus, it’s something you can do together which makes it all the more fun. Learn more about Into the Woods on the Hart House website.

For the JCR inhabitant in your life: Diabolo’s gift cards

Diabolo’s gift cards (offered in any amount!) are the perfect choice for your U of T peers! The JCR is a cozy spot to study (or nap), and it’s made all the better when supplemented with a coffee or tea and a treat from Diab’s. Stop by Diabolo’s to pick one up – they’re open Monday-Friday 9am-7pm. Learn more on their Facebook page.

Enjoy the gift of Diablos Coffee bar - gift card

Photo courtesy Diabolos: https://www.facebook.com/DiabolosCoffeeBar/photos/a.494163353927951.111994.192268530784103/1098269273517353/?type=3&theater

U of T swag at the Bookstore

Got a proud U of T fam in your life? The Bookstore has tons of U of T gear marked down for the holidays. They’ve also got all sorts of lovely stationary and notebooks, as well as candy and chocolate, tech gear, giftcards, and mugs and waterbottles. Check out their holiday catalogue on their website.

Got other ideas for getting your holiday shopping done on campus? Share them in the comments or on twitter tagging @lifeatuoft!  

danielle

Danielle is the summer 2015 Communications Intern at the Office of Student Life. She wrapped up her undergrad this year and will be entering a master's program at U of T in the fall, studying in the Faculty of Information. She previously studied English and Jewish Studies with a minor in History. Danielle studied abroad twice, in Jerusalem and Berlin, did a service learning course, and did a few work-study positions. Her favourite part of her undergrad was working at The Varsity, the campus newspaper. She was the editor-in-chief in her final year. She's passionate about good writing, student journalism, reading, knitting, long walks (on the beach or otherwise), and table tennis, which she insists she is very good at, though her friends may not agree. You can reach her on twitter @lifeatuoft over the summer if you want to chat!