General

#UofTRemembers: Remembrance Day events on and around campus

November 11 is Remembrance Day. This year marks the hundredth anniversary of the writing of “In Flanders Fields” by U of T alumnus John McCrae. There are lots of ways for you to learn about the history of U of T’s involvement in the world wars and pay your respects to Canadian veterans this week on and around campus.  

Visit Soldier’s Tower and see artifacts, photos, and the memorial room. The Soldier’s Tower in Hart House is a stunning memorial to U of T’s veterans. They’re holding open hours for the U of T community to drop in and explore.
Tuesday, 12pm-3pm
Wednesday, 11am-4pm (anticipate line-ups)

Attend U of T’s annual Service of Remembrance. Each year, this service takes place outside by the Soldier’s Tower war memorial between University College and Hart House, and is followed by a free public reception in the Great Hall of Hart House. There will be lots of interesting, insightful speakers from the U of T community. For more information about the service, check out U of T’s alumni website.
Wednesday, 10:20am-11:00am

The 2013 Service of Remembrance at Soldier's Tower. Courtesy of U of T Archives.

The 2013 Service of Remembrance at Soldier’s Tower.

Visit “The World Remembers” at Trinity College. Trinity College participates in an international installation displaying the names of the dead from WWI from Canada and several countries. Learn more on their website.
Daily until Wednesday, 8:10am-7:30pm

Listen to music from the war at Hart House’s “Dark Days, Bright Victory: Canada’s World War II in Words, Images, and Song.” On Remembrance Day, hear wartime songs in this multimedia experience that brings Canadian history to life. Actors will also narrate the story of World War II and some video will be shown. Learn more and get tickets here.
Wednesday, 7:30pm
10$ tickets for students

Attend Victoria College’s Ceremony of Remembrance. If you can’t make the U of T service, head to the Goldring Student Centre for several speakers and a performance from the Vic Chorus. Check out their Facebook event.
Wednesday, 2:00pm

Soldiers in front of University College in 1946. Photo courtesy of U of T Archives.

Attend your local City of Toronto memorial service. Services are held at civic centres across Toronto and and at Old City Hall (which is televised). Learn more on the City’s website.

Learn more about U of T alumni involvement in the war. Explore U of T’s “World Wars” section the heritage website, take a virtual tour of Soldier’s Tower, or read a veteran alumnus’s testimony, or take a look at Emaan’s blog post from earlier this year on Soldier’s Tower. 

Share how you’re honouring veterans this Remembrance Day on social media with the hashtag #UofTRemembers.

danielle

Danielle is the summer 2015 Communications Intern at the Office of Student Life. She wrapped up her undergrad this year and will be entering a master's program at U of T in the fall, studying in the Faculty of Information. She previously studied English and Jewish Studies with a minor in History. Danielle studied abroad twice, in Jerusalem and Berlin, did a service learning course, and did a few work-study positions. Her favourite part of her undergrad was working at The Varsity, the campus newspaper. She was the editor-in-chief in her final year. She's passionate about good writing, student journalism, reading, knitting, long walks (on the beach or otherwise), and table tennis, which she insists she is very good at, though her friends may not agree. You can reach her on twitter @lifeatuoft over the summer if you want to chat!