Beat the February blues by taking advantage of these fun, family-friendly opportunities! We’ve rounded up free and low-cost Family Day (February 19th), Black History Month (all of February), and March Break (March 12th – 16th) programming that is sure to pique your interest.
- Black History Month at the Toronto Public Library – Check out a puppet show featuring Anansi, interactive West African dance, stories, and songs sessions, and the Ubuntu Drum and Dance Theatre FREE at select Toronto Public Library locations this February!
- Afrofusion Dance Classes – Head over to the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts for a free Afrofusion dance class. The genre blends “traditional and contemporary African styles” and there are two classes on Tuesday, February 13th and Tuesday, February 20th from 5:30 – 6:30 pm.
- Kuumba at Harborfront Centre – Join “Toronto’s longest-running celebration of Black History Month!” Catch the Toronto-made documentary Black History – A Journey Through Hip Hop, Dance Breaks with The Male Initiative, and more!
- LunarFest – It’s the Chinese Lunar New Year of the Dog! Take part in doggy arts and crafts and other fun activities at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga on Sunday, February 18th and Monday, February 19th.
- Family Day Weekend at Scarborough Museum – Go on a scavenger hunt, sample baked goods, and make crafts at this pay-what-you-can event. Saturday, February 17th – Monday, February 19th, 12:00 – 4:00 pm.
- Family Day at Fort York – Try an Officers’ Sword Drill, old-fashioned games, and food from the hearth at this free Monday, February 19th event. Then, head to “the Bentway’s new public skating trail just outside the Fort York Visitor Centre!”
- Family Day Weekend at the Royal Ontario Museum – Celebrate Canada’s rich, multicultural landscape FREE with Museum admission February 17th – 19th. You’ll get to make paper dolls, taste traditional Chinese teas, and have henna done… there are too many activities to list!
- Discounted March Break Camp at Central Tech Stadium – Central Tech runs fun, sport and game-centred March Break camps for youth ages 6-12. If you register by Monday, February 19th you’ll save as much as $50 off the cost of camp!