There’s nothing better than a day that’s scheduled especially for family fun!
In consideration of this year’s Family Day- happening Monday, February 20th for those who don’t yet have it on their radar- we’ve made a list of 7 top picks across the GTA:
1. Board Game Making + Playing– At Steamlab, you can spend the day designing, building, and playing board games with the entire family! You’ll get to learn how to use a laser cutter, 3D printer, and will have access to tons of craft supplies to create a take-home game entirely of your making. Happening Monday, February 20th from 9-4pm. $35 for family drop-in or $95/child unaccompanied by a guardian.
2. Create, Explore, and Enjoy at the AGO– On February 20th, the Art Gallery of Ontario will be transformed into the KIDS’ Gallery of Ontario! There are tons of fantastic workshops that involve exploration, creativity, and family fun. Some of these include: kite and sailboat making, fort building, and yoga! Family Day Passes cost $39 and AGO Members are free.
3. Family Day at Evergreen Brick Works– Head over to Evergreen Brick Works on Monday the 20th and enjoy free skating, CBC mascots, and tons of family-specific outdoor activities. You’re welcome to bring your own winter gear- skates, hiking poles, and fat bikes, but on-site rentals are available as well! There’ll be soup-making and storytelling, tours of the Winter Village Building, guided walks along the Don River Valley, as well as teachings on the Birch Bark Canoe by Anishinaabe artist Mike Ormsby. February the 20th from 11-5pm. FREE.
4. Family Day at Harbourfront Centre– There are so many great Family Day events happening at Harbourfront this year. Too many to list! Some highlights include: Music with Bite: Giggle and Stomp!, Let’s Talk Science, the Cozy Chill Out Zone and Toronto Public Library Ready for Reading Program, and snow shoe-making with Shadowland Theatre! Monday, February 20th, 11-5pm. FREE.
5. Family Day at City of Toronto Historic Sites– If you stop by the City’s museums on February 20th you’ll find even more kid-friendly activities than usual! Visit the Fort York kitchen for some hearth baking and hot chocolate, enjoy storytelling at the Historic Zion Schoolhouse, learn Scottish Country dances at the Mackenzie House, and more! Admission prices vary.
6. Family Funday Weekend at the ROM– From February 18th-20th, the Royal Ontario Museum will be celebrating the country’s rich multicultural landscape with musical performances, films, special workshops, and more. Hands-on themed activities inspired by the Museum’s exhibits will run from 11-4pm. Free with Museum admission (Students with ID $15.50, children ages 4-14 $14.00).
7. Family Day Monday at the Bata Shoe Museum– The BSM is transforming into a magical wonderland on Monday, February 20th. Take part in hands-on demos and arts and crafts and catch a special viewing of The Snow Queen. Drop-in activities until 4pm. Free with museum admission (Students with ID $8, children ages 5-17 $5).
Looking for more activities? Check out sites like http://www.toronto4kids.com/ to find even more events near you.