You and your family may be relieved to see the summer months dwindling and the back to school season ramping up. Whether that’s true or not, the city still has a few great celebrations to take advantage of before school gets back into full swing.
Here are five low-cost events that you just can’t miss:
- The Canadian National Exhibition (CNE): Open from August 19th– September 5th, the CNE has been an end-of-summer ritual in the city for over 130 years! Your kids will love its three parades, extreme pogo stunt show, and kids’ world. You’ll be able to catch Bob the Builder, Splash’N Boots, and many more on its Kids’ World Stage while trying out pizza making and games in Toddler Town on KidStreet. Here’s a one-time free child’s admission ticket available until August 18th. The Exhibition has great ticket specials including Kids’ Toonie Mondays and $6 after 5pm on weekdays, so make sure to take advantage of them. If you’re hoping to hit up the the rides at the CNE, keep in mind that they cost extra. And finally, here’s some info specific to attending the Ex with kids!
- Toronto International Busker Fest: Busker Fest’s moved to Woodbine Park this year for its Labour Day celebration. Over 100 buskers will be performing from September 2nd– 5th including favourites Silver Elvis and The Budapest Marionettes. They even have a family fun zone for kid-specific entertainment. You can’t beat the spontaneity of this free festival.
- Ukrainian Fest: Head to the Ukrainian Festival in Bloor West Village Friday September 16th– Sunday September 18th for a three-day celebration of Ukrainian culture and hospitality! You’ll find an artisan market, a children’s midway, cultural pavilions, and sidewalk sales. Make sure that you catch a dance lesson from the Desna Ukrainian Dance Company and that you grab some handmade varenyky or else you’ll have to wait until the next year!
- Roncesvalles Polish Festival: You can’t miss North America’s largest Polish Festival! Happening this September 17th and 18th and easily accessible by transit, you and your family will find six stages of non-stop entertainment, two midway areas for family-friendly fun, and delicious traditional Polish food. Their “Dance Under the Stars” polka party on Saturday night is one of their most popular events.
- Word on the Street: Word on the Street, a book and magazine festival, is a can’t-miss for bibliophiles of any age. The Harbourfront Centre hosts the festival on Sunday September 25th; there you’ll find incredible vendors, performers, storytellers, and authors. Have some fun at Kidstreet and the TVOKids stage, watch a spoken word performance, and get a book or two signed by your favourite authors!