Health and Wellness, Student Life

Accessing Counselling Services

Sometimes, we all just need someone to talk to. If you, or your partner, are looking for a counsellor or other health professional to chat with, there are many places you can go. This blog will outline how to access mental health and counselling services across the U of T campuses, and in the broader Toronto community.

U of T St.George:

  •  The Health and Wellness Centre, located at 214 College Street, 2nd Floor, offers a single point of access for all health and mental health services for students. Services through this office are available to all University of Toronto students who have paid the appropriate incidental fees. Appointments can be made online through Web Access or by calling 416-978-8030. The clinic also accepts drop-in appointments on a first-come, first-served basis and group therapy sessions .
  • Counselling at the School of Graduate Studies: To better meet the diverse needs of the graduate student population, graduate students can ​​access counselling services at the School of Graduate Studies, 65 St. George Street on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Wellness Counsellor offers brief counselling services tailored to the challenges presented by graduate-level university life. To make an appointment, call 416-978-8030.
  • Although currently closed until September 21, 2016, the OISE Psychology Clinic at 252 Bloor St. West offers counseling and psychotherapy appointments that are open to students, partners and the public.  Services are provided at low cost, with flexible payment plans and a sliding scale fee designed based on clients’ needs. To make an appointment, call the Intake Line at 416-978-0654.
  • Counseline offers face-to-face and online counselling for Faculty of Arts and Science undergrads and Transitional Year Programme (TYP) students. Counseline is closed for the summer but will re-open in September. To make an appointment, call the Intake Line at 416-946-5117.

U of T Mississauga:

  • The Health and Counselling Centre, located in Room 1123A of Davis Building, offers personal counselling and psychiatric services for UTM students. The centre is open weekdays from 9am-5pm. To make an appointment, call 905-828-5255 or stop by the main office.

U of T Scarborough:

  • The Health and Wellness Centre, located in SL-270 of the Student Centre offers personal counselling and group therapy services for students registered at UTSC with a valid student card and health card. All appointments must be made over the phone by calling 416-287-7065 or in person by visiting the front desk.

Good2Talk is a resource for Ontario Post-Secondary Students

Good2Talk is a resource for Ontario Post-Secondary Students

Off-Campus and Crisis Lines

  • Good2Talk is a FREE, completely confidential and anonymous service that offers post-secondary students professional counselling, mental health information and connections to local resources.  The service is available 24 hours a day in both English and French. Call 1-866-925-5454.
  • The Gerstein Crisis Centre is a 24-hour community based mental health crisis service for adults in Toronto. The centre offers a 24 hour crisis line (416-929-5200), to help callers who are experiencing a mental health crisis to work out some effective ways of addressing their immediate problems, and connect them to services that can offer ongoing support.
  • Family Service Toronto, located at 128A Sterling Road, second floor, suite 202, offers a free single counseling session for adults in Toronto. This walk-in counseling is available on Wednesdays from 3:30-7:30pm – Registration begins at 3 p.m. and last appointment starts 6:15pm.
  • Distress Centres of Toronto/Scarborough offers 24-hour telephone (416-408-4357) support to individuals in crisis and referrals to community agencies.
  • Peel Crisis Services offers 24-hour crisis intervention services (phone and outreach) to people with mental illness who are in crisis in Peel Region.  Phones are staffed by mental health workers who are available at any time, 7 days a week. Peel Crisis Services also offers outreach in response to a crisis in the community done by a mental health worker and a specially trained police officer. Call 905-278-9036 to speak with a counsellor.

If you are on any of the three campuses and you’re experiencing a personal safety issue, you can call U of T’s Community Safety Office at 416-978-1485

Remember, if you or someone you know is in crisis, call 9-1-1.

Emma Helfand-Green

Emma is in her second year of the Master of Public Policy program. She recently completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Guelph, studying psychology and political science. When she is not blogging for the Family Care Office, you might find Emma volunteering at the Hart House theatre, working hard (or hardly working) at the Robarts Library, or spending quality time with her cat, Goose.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *