Thanksgiving is just around the corner (can you believe it?!?) and we at the Family Care Office want to share with some of our favorite ways to spend the long weekend. From Harbourfront to Harvest festivals, we’ve got you covered for fun, family friendly events in the GTA.
- Visit the Harbourfront Centre in the heart of Downtown Toronto for the HarbourKIDS Festival. This free, full day event will feature mask making, storytelling, short films and a whole lot more.
- Check out Pumpkin Fest at Downsview Park for all things Autumn. From a traditional Farmers Market and Baked Goods sale to a Princess Meet and Greet and more, the pumpkin fest has something for everyone! It’s happening Oct 10-13 and is accessible by TTC!
- Experience the beautiful Ontario fall colours while picking your own apples (or pumpkin picking!). If you are able and willing to make the drive out of the city, apple picking can be a great way to spend time as a family enjoying nature and collect some healthy snacks for next week. Toronto.com put together a great list of apple picking farms in the GTA as well as some helpful tips for those who have never gone picking before.
- Enjoy a traditional Canadian thanksgiving dinner on Thursday Oct 8th at our very own Hart House or Oct 11-12th at Blackcreek Pioneer Village (Steeles and Jane). I’m getting hungry just writing this! Both of these events are family friend so visit the websites to purchase your tickets.
- Attend the Woodbridge Fair (Hwy 7 and Hwy 400) or the Harvest Festival at Springridge Farm (Milton) for horse shows, live music, children’s entertainment and giant vegetable competitions! Both of these events are approximately an hour from the Downtown core, but it’s worth the drive.
- Participate in fall fun activities ranging from crafts to gourd bowling and say hello to your favorite animals at the Toronto Zoo! The Toronto Zoo Celebrates Fall fest is a great way to spend the day.
- Feel like staying at home instead? Why not create some fun and festive crafts with your kids like a toilet paper roll turkey? Today’s Parent put together a few cute crafts that are sure to entertain.
There is so much to love about the Fall, so take advantage of the long weekend to get outside and check out what the city has to offer.
I hope you enjoy the long weekend and have some time to relax and get caught up on your work. If you end up checking out any other events in the GTA over the long weekend, I’d love to hear about it!