As the weather cools here in Toronto, you may be searching for ways to keep your children entertained. This blog series will help you find fun and new ways to get creative with your children this winter.
Now that school is winding down and winter break approaches, it’s time to share some quality time with your family. This winter craft project is a fun way to enjoy the snow with your children, while staying warm and cozy inside.
Mason Jar Snow globe
Things you’ll need:
- A glass jar with a tight lid (storage containers or baby food jars will work)
- Hot glue gun
- Glitter and/or fake snow (you can even use bits of egg shell as snow if you’d like!)
- Mineral oil, baby oil, or water and a bit of glycerine (available at most drugstores)
- Plastic or ceramic figurines (for a winter theme try snowmen, penguins, trees, or polar bears; or use Legos or ballerina figurines to create your own theme!)
- Children’s modelling clay (optional)
Clean the mason jar thoroughly and allow it to dry. Use hot glue to attach your plastic or ceramic figurines to the inside of the lid. Let this set for a few minutes.
Note: If you’d like to recover your toy once you’ve finished enjoying your snow globe, you can use a bit of children’s modelling clay instead of hot glue. Flatten a ball of clay until it is 1/2 inch thick, press this firmly into the lid, and press your figurines into the clay. Double check that everything is secure by turning it upside down.
Once you have your snow globe scene set up, add glitter and/or fake snow. You can create your own fake snow at home by placing eggshells in a large plastic bag and crushing them using a rolling pin until they are the desired size.
Fill the jar to a 1/2 inch below the top with either baby oil, mineral oil, or water. If using water, add just a bit of glycerine to to the mix to make your snow fall slowly.
If you’d like to ensure your jar is water-tight, you can roll out a thin strip of modelling clay and place it inside the rim of the lid. Place the lid on top of the jar, seal it tightly, and enjoy your homemade snow globe!