Monday, February 21st is Family Day and it’s a great chance to use the extra day off to do more than just sleep in. Here are some great events that are happening around Toronto that you might want to check out:
- Toronto’s Waterfront is hosting a whole day extravaganza for the family and the best part is that it’s free! Sports demos, African drumming and dancing, face painting and bouncy castles! Get more info here.
- Go back in time at Fort York. Tipi building, Aboriginal storytelling, and various other events. On top of that, free maple taffy on snow, complementary skate rentals and free hot chocolate! Get more info here.
- TIFF Bell Lightbox is offering free programming on Sunday Feb. 20 and Monday Feb. 21! Watch Alice in Wonderland or The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D, as well as concerts, exhibitions, and more. Get more info here.
If planned events and going out are not your thing, then Today’s Parent has a great article with 40 ideas local and/or indoor activities that the whole family can enjoy. Here are some great examples:
• Beach Day! Pretend it is blazing hot out, put on your bathing suits and shades and some sunny music and have a beach party. Ice cream sundaes, or Ice Cream Sundae Pie, mandatory!
• Have a snowman challenge with your neighbours! Give out prizes for Most Creative and Best-looking.
• Nostalgia Movie Marathon. Rent your fave movies from your childhood, such as Annie, Mary Poppins or Ghostbusters, and watch them again with your kids.
• Go on a winter hike in a park or the woods. Collect items you find and glue them to sturdy paper to make a beautiful nature collage. Or, take some beautiful snowy pictures.
• Have Backwards Day, where you eat breakfast for dinner, call Mom “Dad” and Dad “Mom” and, of course, wear your clothes backwards.
Check out more ideas from their article here!