The snow is on the ground, the lights have gone up on houses, and holiday music plays in the mall – the holidays are here! As a family, this can mean a time to come together and continue or start some family traditions.
There can be more to the holidays than turkey and gift-giving, so this is the time to ask what you want that something to be, and to tailor traditions that work for your family. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Go for a family nature walk to collect seasonal items you can use to decorate your home. If you live near a forest, collect some pine boughs, pine cones or holly. If you don’t, long dried grasses tied with some ribbons can look just as festive. Let the kids take ownership of some of the decorating decisions!
2. Know of a street or an area that has houses decorated with amazing festive lights? Make a night to go and view them. Make it an event, walk around and see the lights and then go for hot chocolate after. Let the kids pick their favorites for fun or for what they want to do at your house next year!
3. Get together and make your favorite holiday treats! Everyone gets to pick and make their favorites for sharing throughout the holidays. It’s a great time to bond over an activity.
4. Each year, get together to make and design an ornament to hang in the house or on a tree. It’s a great memory of each year and your tree will be filled with one-of-a-kind ornaments that are meaningful to your family.
5. Gather around the fire one evening and read favorite holiday stories.
6. Lots of places have special Holiday programs or projects for those in need. Volunteer as a family and enjoy working together to help others.
The great things about traditions is that every family has their own and that’s what makes them special. Put your heads together and create your own – those are the best traditions!